The Fordway
The Fordway is a particularly shallow section of the Concord River where it was possible to cross on horseback. In 1655, when the town was first founded, a rudimentary bridge was built here as the first bridge to cross the Concord in Billerica. By 1699, the bridge had washed away several times and was not rebuilt. Instead, the town built the Corner Bridge, which was much more centrally located and convenient.
There was no bridge at the Fordway until 1893, when electric trolleys started to be used in Billerica and had need for a bridge here. It was rebuilt again in 1912 to be stronger and wider.